Thursday, June 21, 2007

Morocco: Glimpses from a family


I don't wanna generalize too much, cos I know that the familylife, traditions and ways differ much among Muslim families. This story is therefore only about this specific family, not about Muslim families generally.


But I have to tell you this:

I had the great honour to visit a nice local family in Meknes. And I must say; my view on the Muslim family life changed a bit!

I could never have imagined that under those innocent scarves and burkas that women wear, lies these wild, funny and half carzy women! Outside the house most of them wear traditional clothes and scarves covering themselves. But what happens at home when they take off the scarves..?

In this happy little family everyone spend a lot of time together, eats, laughs, cries, makes jokes, dances, sings, and smokes the water pipe (sisha) together. Some years ago they all smoked marihuana, but now they have gone over to some more "healthy" smoking, only using fruit tobacco. In the first picture above there was a lot of action and noise going on. The family's son's wife looked at me lauging and said "crazy family...ha?"

Sitting there amongst them made me happy too.
I wish our families had more of that spontanous life and love...
(I´m not saying you should smoke Marihuana, though)

Thousands of thanks to "Breakfast" from Couch Surfing who brought me around to local friends in Meknes.

No comments: